Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Scat

My posts tend to be a bit on the serious side. So I thought, for a change, I'd write about something a bit lighter...

...SCAT.

(You know, the naturalist's term for sh*t).

There seems to be a lot of it in my life these days.

And I don't mean metaphorically!

Sometimes for farm chores I hose-off and/or sweep the duck scat off the porch or patio. Since Simon isn't always walked by leash (his breed needs to run), I have to walk around the school grounds and pick up his scat. My work duties include keeping our guest quarters clean, so I'm often on my knees scrubbing toilets. The other day out in the woods I failed to look down as I was walking and stepped in a pellet pile (deer scat).

I can't help but wonder if there's some deep spiritual message trying to be conveyed to me.

Or, maybe it's just as simple as...

...shit happens.

Any thoughts???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about your 'scat', but i've always looked at it as a natural part of life. It may not be the most pleasant part, but it depends on how you view it. As a child, I loved to ride horses. And the smell of manure was intoxicating to me because it meant that horses were near. If you look at the scat in your life as a bit of the lives that you touch, it can be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Although cleaning up after our animal and, sometimes, human friends isn't something that we look forward to (I never, ever, leap out of bed in the morning yelling, "Man! I hope I get to pick up POOP today!"), it is a tender service.

My 19-year old friend and companion, my precious cat Shadow, just passed away after a long illness. For the last 2 years, she decided not to use her litter box - arthritis made climbing in and out painful, no matter how shallow a box we used. But I never resented cleaning it up, although there were times when I was just so TIRED of cleaning up poop! But she was my darling, faithful friend through a lot of happiness and pain and caring for her was a joy. That was a good trade just to hear her yell for her breakfast in the morning.

I think I'll go scoop the litter boxes and swish the toilets. And praise God for it. Where there's poop, there's life! (Now there's a bumper sticker)

Anonymous said...

"Where there's poop there's life"
I want that on a tee shirt!! :)

Anonymous said...

Nope, I think you said it all! Poop happens...that's all there is to it!(hey I want that on a t-shirt too! JK)