Sunday, April 16, 2006

20 Things That Make Me Smile


I've added a P.S. for those that have already seen this post once
:-)



1) Simon's love for playing 'Rock'

2) Simon when he lies on the floor belly up doing the 'see me!' wiggle

3) Simon when he's sleeping in a puppy-cute position

4) a good pun

5) bird song at sunrise

6) a student greeting me in the hallway at the school

7) Sr. CJ in her optional 'angel' nun headgear

8) all my sisters' senses of humor (necessary to survive life in community)

9) Simon when he (almost daily) bolts out the door to greet the UPS driver (who gives him a cookie)

10) the full moon, when she follows me wherever I go.

11) having my scalp massaged

12) Simon, when he slowly and gently 'sneaks' up in the one-foot space between two people on the couch, then curling his body up in the space and putting his head on a lap

13) when my friend gives a caring touch on my shoulder/back as she's passing by behind me

14) seeing my best NY friend's face, and my sisters who live in the city, and being in their presence after a long absence.

15) watching squirrels chase each other

16) newborn and young of all species

17) smiley faces, smiling faces

18) preparing a fire outside with only nature-collected items and successfully lighting it with just one match

19) snow -- it's still a wonder to this Texas girl

20) a sunrise -- and especially late morning sunshine after an early morning cloudy and dreary rain

How about you?

P.S...on 4/18

Sr. Claire Joy said I needed to "get a life" because one quarter of the things that make me smile had to do with Simon. Well...if you lived with Simon all the time you would experience this unusual companion and be smiling at all the things he does and ways about him.

But, in order to show I do have a life outside of Simon (I lump everything I said about him into one item, and I add the following list of five things that make me smile:

1) Ramona Quimby stories by Beverly Cleary
2) a crossword puzzle with a great theme (one of the neatest crosswords I ever worked was by (not just edited by) Will Schultz (sp?) where the letter 'e' was not used one single time in the puzzle. It was amazing!
3) going to the ballpark and seeing a baseball game live and singing "Take Me Out to the Ballpark" at the 7th inning stretch
4) piano music
5) old Gilda Radner skits

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta ask: How does Simon play "Rock:? And since I've just survived a 97 degree day in Dallas, #19 made me laugh, then I got a bit jealous. #8 is so true for all of us who have others we work closely with. Nothing beats a really good sense of humor!

Sr. Lilli Ana said...

"Rock" is a game in which Simon goes and finds a fairly large-sized rock that fits well in his mouth, brings it to me, I throw it, and then he retrieves it and comes back near me. Watching him prancing back with a rock in his mouth, all proud, is hilarious. Then he takes it over to the grass and covets it and gnaws on it a bit. Then I go over to him for the 2nd half of the game which is called "give me that rock!" I have to try to get the rock away from him. He'll put it down and when I try to snatch it he covers it with his big paws. It's another cute thing that I guess you'd have to see.

Ugh! 97 already in Dallas and it's only April?! I don't miss that!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I can just picture Simon! That is hilarious! Only a Weimer would think of such a game. And how can you keep a straight face when you all are playing Part II aka "Gimme that rock!"

Yes, Dallas right now is "UGH!!" We are setting record highs. But it is suppose to begin cooling off, getting into the 80's in the next few days. I hate to think what July-September will be like.

Anonymous said...

Okay... I was wrong. You have a life.
Maybe I need to get one.